The Warrior

for it’s written in the stars
and every line in your palm,
we’re fools to make war on our brothers in arms.
- Mark Knopfler

...................................................................................................

My father was Telamon: Argonaut, boar hunter, brother of Achilles’ father Peleus, friend of Herakles, sacker of Old Troy, king of Salamis, father of Teucer by a hostage-princess of Troy, father of me by his true wife.

I am Ajax. An ovine assassin. A murderer of sheep.

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Achilles, His Armor, His Psyche




Someone recently asked, what was it that sent me after Achilles, led me to the Hare book, and restructured his entire existence to finally - after three thousand years of poets and writers not getting it - explain him correctly? It was an encounter of the kind that only a writer can understand.

There I was, merrily banging away at a final outline for Ajax, when he suddenly woke up and said to me, "Your whole theme is the brotherhood of arms, isn't it?" 
"Yes, so?"
"Achilles died when he went secretly to Priam to make private peace."
"Yes, so?"
"By going there, Achilles violated the brotherhood pact, right?"
"I hadn't thought that far but okay, yes, so?"
"Everyone believes that I died because my brothers in arms violated the brotherhood pact by allowing Agamemnon to give Achilles' armor, which I thought I was entitled to, to Odysseus, right?"
"Yes, so?"
"But Achilles walked into our enemy's house to betray us all, right?"
"Yes, so?"
“So," he said, with his own ponderous patience, "Why would I even want it?"
"Oh shit."

1 comment:

  1. "Oh shit" is right. Can't wait to see how you're going to handle this.

    ReplyDelete

Please tell Ajax what you think. But be nice; he's always armed.